Monday, July 9, 2012

Why I chose Revell's 288GTO body? (Ferrari 288GTO Revell + Fujimi #3 Work in Progress)

I think some (many) of you are wondering why I chose Revell's body.
Here are some answers.
Looking this real picture above, I can find it doesn't have so wide section as I thought.

....And, this is Fujimi's 288GTO I made. Even I did lots of modifying on body, still too fat and the front section is too big, in my opinion. It is beyond the deformation.

Another picture of real one.

And, Revell's body from almost the same angle.  
Over there is Fujimi's GTO I was making (Don't think I was widening the Fujimi's body, looking the putty applied. That was only because I widened the wheel arches so the width on each fenders went narrower).

I believe you can find the Revell's body has more accuracy overall (of course not perfect, though).

I also found good sample of Revell's completed work (From http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/renaisssance90/60554683.html ; sorry, this is written in Japanese but you can see the pictures).
Tires and wheels are from Fujimi, but most of the parts are from Revell. I think this is one of the best 288GTO kit ever made.

....These are why I decided to use Revell's body and chassis with some (many) mods.


Soo far I am happy with my decision. (Though I did lots of mods. I'll mention them one by one)

That's all for today,

Have a good night!!




5 comments:

  1. I realise that this is an old project, but I've been searching for some information on Ferrari models, because I would really like to modify my Revell 308 GTB into a Quattrovole Turbo.
    I want to borrow both the front bonnet and front air dam from a 288 kit, but don't know if the Revell or the fujimi kit would be the best donor. Could I ask you for your advice? Seeing that you've worked with both kits.
    Thanks for any help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kidney,
    As I wrote on the post, the shape overall of Revell's is much better than Fujimi's. So if I do the same thing as you, I'll chose Revell's body, still need lots of modify though :)
    Revell's shape is sharper and Fujimi's shape is fat. If you want more volume than the real one, chose Fujimi's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Umihito,
    Is bonnet is moulded into place on the Revell? But a loose separate piece on the Fujimi, is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kidney,
    Yes, Revell's bonnet is molded in one-piece with other body section, and Fujimi's bonnet is a piece apart from body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your input and pictures.
    Yes, I see now that the rear vents are also needed from the 288 kit.
    I will have buy both the Fujimi and the Revell 288s.

    ReplyDelete